Our social:

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Rava Uppuma (Kichadi)

          Almost all households in South India (I am not sure about the other parts) would have resorted to this item though they like it or not and whether they are good in preparing it or not.This is mainly because of the less cooking time that it takes and can easily become a complete meal. We have seen in many functions if they run out of food due to excess crowd the cooks will make this uppuma and serve fast.Rava is not easily digestible and so cant become a regular tiffin.Many I come to know find it difficult to make it perfect.I too was not able to reach the best combination of oil,water etc for many years. This is a food item best suited for bachelors. Youngsters will not have digestion problem and they can resort to it as an instant food.Many people I know love this uppuma .In some places they call this rava Bombay  Rava.
                                                                                 I am crazy about this uppuma and will ask for it in all hotels. My children are not big fans of this and I rarely prepare this at home .This is a very tasty recipe and if followed exactly will give a nice uppuma.This uppuma can be made without vegetables also.If you add vegetables you can make the item more healthy. Those who are having frozen mixed vegetables can easily add a handful.The main thing to be kept in mind while making any uppuma is that you should not be very cautious about  the quantity of oil used. If you are so then the uppuma will turn very bad like kali.
Ingredients
Roasted Rava -1 cup (Now all the brands of Rava we get are roasted) 
Onion -1
Green chili-4
Curry leaf-little
chopped ginger- 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaf -little
Cooking oil -4 table spoons (If mixed with ghee will be very tasty)
Vegetables
cut beans-3 table spoons
carrot sliced- 3 to 4 table spoons
peas -little
(If fresh vegetables are used microwave it for 4 minutes or cook separately for 10 minutes.)
To Season
Mustard seed-1 teaspoon
Broken urudh dhal-1 teaspoon
Kadalai Paruppu- 2 teaspoons
Broken cashews -1 table spoon  (optional)
curry leaf-little

Procedure
                              Place a reasonably big kadai in the stove.Add 3 table spoons of cooking oil.If you like you can mix a tablespoon of ghee.Season the uppuma with the items given in to season.First add kadalai paruppu when its color changes add mustard seed then urudh dhal and then curry leaf.Now add the chopped onions and slit chilies. Add the cooked vegetables also if vegetables are used.1:3 is the ratio of water to rava. So add three cups of water and the salt needed now.Close the kadai so that the water boils fast.once the water boils add the rava equally in all sides of the kadai(In Tamil we call it thoovurathu).Sir nicely till it becomes semi solid.Now reduce the fire. Add 1 table spoon more of ghee or oil to the corners of the uppuma in the kadai and continuously stir from top to bottom even though it gets the correct consistency for 5 to 7 minutes in medium or slow fire.Rava needs this cooking time.If you switch off once it gets thick then the rava will be left uncooked.The uppuma will not catch to the bottom if oil is exact.After 8 minutes switch off the stove and add the coriander leaves if you have and serve.

7 comments:

Cham said...

Glad 2 hear that u re back! Upma was not my fav too, now when i don't have any option for tiffin i just make this one- but add a tomato (just to bring the tangyness :)

Cilantro said...

my family likes it and I would`nt say we are huge fans of this upma but we do`nt mind having it. My recipe is similar with the addition of half tomato to it.

Perspectivemedley said...

Rava upma at its best :).. This is one of my kid's favorite (for time being).. looks perfect aachi!

Skl said...

Hello aunty,
We tried this dish,turned out great,we make upma many times a week,this recipe was very delicious esp while taken hot and some ghee over it,placed over a small piece of plaintain leaf,this is how we take upma traditionally while in India at ancestral homes,the plantain leaves have medicinal values so the aroma of plantain leaf into the dish placed is supposed to be healthy,thank you,skl

Skl said...

Hello aunty,
My elders at home say when tomato,ginger and garlic is added to this dish it's called kichadi,upma is made without tomatoes,very tasty recipe,thank you,skl

Unknown said...

Dear Aunty,

In my home, they never like to eat kichadi. Yesterday I prepared Kichadi as per ur recipe and it became super hit...thanks a lot Aunty... Whenever I need to try anything new, ur site is the first site I used to refer.. Thank u so much Aunty..

Mimi said...

Hi Solai achi, my dad is from devakottai but I was born n brought up in Malaysia, now married with two sons. Cooking is not my favorite thing to do but I cook because I have to;) n I miss my Amma' s cooking a lot. My appa is a very good cook too n I found it very difficult to call my ma all d time so tht I cud find something new to cook or refer a particular recipe.ur blog has helped me so much.keep writing achi, ungal seevai enna I madhiri penngalukku rumba teevai...glad I found ur site