Our social:

Friday, March 13, 2009

Karunaikkizhangu Masiyal (Yam smash)

This is yet another chettinad delicacy. No chettinad cookery index will be complete without this recipe. This dish is supposed to be very good and safe for health. This was very famous in chettinad those days mainly because it wont get spoiled even if not refrigerated (if properly cooked) and its taste increases the next day. The problem again in cooking this is the patience to be there with the dish for half an hour in the kitchen. But once you taste this you will realize that its taste is worth all the strain. So on a day you are free and relaxed try your hand on this. Rasam alone will be enough along with this to have a good meal. This will be yummy with curd rice also
Ingredients
Karunaikizhangu-5
Minced onion-1 cup
Green chillies-6
Lemon juice-1 lemon
Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil -2 table spoons
Procedure
Pressure cook the kizhangu for 10 minutes. Peel off the skin when cold. Smash it nicely without lumps. Add the lemon juice, salt and turmeric powder and mix well. In olden days tamarind pulp was used instead of lemon. But due to the bad effects of too much of tamarind, now a days it has been substituted with lemon juice. Some kizhangu will be scratchy and it will be itching for the tongue. Lemon juice or tamarind will remove that. Keep the kadai in the stove. In two table spoons of cooking oil season the curry with a teaspoon of mustard and broken urudh dhal and little curry leaf. Add the minced onion and splitted green chili and sauté for a while. Now add the smashed kizhangu and sauté for 5 minutes. After that add ½ cup of water and mix nicely without lumps. Reduce the flame and cook stirring in between .After sometime it will start catching the bottom of the kadai. From now on you have to be very careful and have to go on stirring. If it is catching too much add ½ spoon of oil and cook. A stage will come when the whole curry just floats in the kadai like halwa. It will be good if you can cook 5 more minutes even after that. The whole dish will turn little browny. Make sure that the fire is not too much and it does not get burnt. From my explanations don’t get scared. For the experts in the kitchen this preparation will be no matter. Whenever I write a recipe, I will take the cooking experience of my daughter only in my mind and will be giving too much of ideas and instructions. The more time and more thicker you cook the dish the more tasty the dish will be.

14 comments:

Kayal said...

The recipe appears so simple with minimum ingredients. I am sure it will taste delicious. I will try this in a weekend. Thanks aachi for sharing a totally new recipe for me.

Sujatha said...

looks so delicious! It used to be my childhood favorite, but completely forgot about it.. Aachi, Can I do the same dish with cheppangkilangu? I don't get karunai kilangu here.

Solai Chidambaram said...

no sujatha,Seppan kizhangu is totally a different kind.It will get sticky.when you come to India take some.It will stay fresh for 3 to 4 months

Cilantro said...

I love this Masiyal with curd rice. I do not get the Karunaikkizhangu here. We add tamarind instead of the lemon.

Cham said...

Pitti karunai I guess right? My mom makes it, I can only drool and imagine the taste!

Raji said...

Hi Aachi... Just today did ur Karunai fish fry and now saw this recipe,will try for sure. Is this the same kizhangu as that fish fry one?

Solai Chidambaram said...

No Raji,That is chenai kizhangu.This is pidi karunai as cham mentioned.In chettinad we call it as karunai kizhangu

Priyaa said...

Hi Solai...I've tried many of ur recipes and all of them turned out to be tooo good..authentic and hard to find recipes...I am a big fan of ur recipes and keep them coming...

Raji said...

Hi Aachi, Is it possible to do this masiyal with someother vegetable other than yam?

Solai Chidambaram said...

Dont think so Raji

Akya said...

hi aunty,
I am confused about this yam.Is karunai not the big black one.what kizhanku is this ?
nithya

Anonymous said...

Your blog is truly a savior for someone like me. I love chettiar dishes but never learnt to cook them when I was growing up. All I did was eat. I can now make them myself thanks to your well written recipes. :-)

suki said...

hi aunty, karunai kizhangu kuzhambu poriyal tips r super. i love ur blog anuty.

Unknown said...

Nice. But have to add some chopped pieces of garlic