Our social:

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Chettinad Vegetable Kuruma or Navarathna Kuruma (Mixed Vegetable Curry)

Like in any other cuisine, mixed vegetable curry or Kuruma has a significant place in chettinad cuisine too. In every house this will be a sure item cooked though different recipes followed.The chettinad masala add to the taste of the curry and makes it a special item.
The important thing to be noted while making Kuruma of this type is
1. Too much of masala items should not be used while grinding the masal or while seasoning
2. Too much of vegetables should also not be used (little of all types is enough)
3. If beetroot is added, it will change the color of the kurma
4. While switching off make sure that the kurma is not very thick (it will thicken once it cools)
5. If cauliflower is going to be added, to make sure it doesn’t get too much cooked, boil it for 5 minutes and keep aside. Add it little before you finish cooking the dish
6. The masala items to be grinded has to be roasted in oil before grinding to increase the taste (Do not roast too much)




Ingredients
Carrot-1
Potato (very small size)-1
Beans-6
Peas-handful
Cauliflower (5 or 6 florets)
Capsicum-1(small)
Any other vegetable which you like to add except brinjal, ladies finger etc
Make sure all these cut vegetables does not amount to more than 1 ½ cups
Onion-1
Tomato-1

Ingredients for the masala
The main taste of the kuruma depends on this masala
Coconut grated-4 to 5 table spoons or half coconut
Cashews-6
Pottukadalai-1 tablespoon
Kas kas-1 teaspoon (optional)
Garlic-6 pods
Ginger-a small piece
Cinnamon-1 small piece
Clove-1
Cardamom-1
Fennel seeds-1 teaspoon
Green chilli-6(according to taste),Chilli powder-1 teaspoon
Keep the kadai in the stove. In a teaspoon of oil add the cinnamon, cardamom, clove and fennel seeds. Then add all other items one by one and coconut at the end. Fry in medium fire for 3 minutes. Grind it to a smooth paste.

Procedure
Put a pressure pan or small cooker or kadai in the stove. In a teaspoon of ghee and oil mixed, season the kuruma with a small piece of cinnamon, cardamom, clove and fennel seed. Add the onion tomato pieces. Sauté well now add all the vegetables except cauliflower and sauté. If the pea going to be used is cooked, then that also can be added later. Add little water and salt and the chilli powder.Close the cooker(if cooker is used) and cook for five minutes in medium fire(don’t worry about the whistle and timing, just cook for that time after closing the cooker).If kadai is used, close the kadai and cook till the vegetables get cooked. Open the cooker after the pressure goes. Make sure the vegetables are cooked well. Mix the grinded masala in a cup of water and add to the vegetables. Now add the cauliflower and cooked peas. Add the salt needed and cook for 5 minutes. Due to the cashews, pottukadalai and kas kas the curry will get thickened. Make sure it is not very thick. If so add little more water and cook. Switch off the stove and if want little sour taste a teaspoon of lemon juice can be added. Garnish with coriander leaves if desired

28 comments:

Devi said...

Aachi,

The kuruma looks delicious. I hope you won't mind clearing a doubt for me. I see two types of urudh dal in the shops - split and whole. Which type for I use for poriyals, rasam etc? As you can tell, I am just learning to cook!

Solai Chidambaram said...

Devi,Urudh dhal is used only for seasoning while cooking.It is the broken one to be used as it will get roasted fast.If you dont get broken you can use the whole one also for seasoning.Always buy and use whole urudh dhal for idly,vadai etc as it only will give large qty of batter

Devi said...

Aachi, thank you for your speedy reply! I have been using the whole urudh dal until now for seasoning and it never roasted completely.

Revathi said...

its served in many restaurants and I wanted to know the recipe aachi.
Thank you. Are you doing well now ?

Kayal said...

I make kurma, the similar way(Learnt from my granny). I never knew its a chettinad style. Thanks for sharing

BF Raks said...

Hi Achi,

I am sooo impressed by your blog 'coz it mainly involves around my fav cuisine. I drool over chettinad food and whenevr I get a chance to eat from outside, I head straight to a chettinad restaurant next to my place.
Also do have a look on my blog as I am completely fresh and a novice in the area of food blogging. The link is http://rakheeindubai.wordpress.com/ and your honest comments/ criticisms are welcome....
Luv, BF Raks

Meenu said...

Hello Aunty, I did the same way and it came very nice. Thank you :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice kurma..yummy too

Unknown said...

good recipe thank you very much. can I add white chick pea in it/

Solai Chidambaram said...

yes lisha,Add a handfull chickpea to the vegetables.It will make the kirma more tasty.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much solai

Sab said...

Thank you for this recipe, My Family loved the kurma I made today.

Unknown said...

Dear Mrs Solai,

more than just the recipes, you show the pitfalls upfront. That is the real mark of a good teacher, who really wants others to succeed and be happy, not just praise you, or say you are a good cook.
I feel anyone can read a recipe, but to know the pitfalls, is more important, and when you do fall in one, usually people blame the recipe and move on.

thanks for your patience and time. I have tried a few and they all come out so well.

You also provide reasons why and that also helps.

thanks again. May god bless you.

Sun
live2eat

Trendsetters said...

Tried your kurma...It was very tasty...came out really well...my family loved it..thank u

BDSN said...

hello mam,
I tried your navarathna kurma several times and this time I have posted the same on my blog and submitted that entry for an event.If you have time do check out my blog and give me your opinion.

Laavanya said...

Tried and loved this recipe - thank you so much!

Nurtigal said...

Simply amazing is the word. The flavors were so spot on. Also, i make the paste into individual portions according to your recipe, freeze them. So all i have to do is add the vegetables and boil it all together!!!

Solai Chidambaram said...

nice idea of freezing the grinded paste Nurtigal.thankyou for the comment

Unknown said...

hello achi,

can u post the recipe for groundnut kuruma

Dharani said...

hii aachi..came out very nice .. wanted to try your hand made food one day ;)

indhu said...

Hello achi
My native is karaikudi.so happy to see lot of Chettinad dishes. My husband loves Chettinad foods. U r doing a wonderful job. I was looking for this recipe for a long time.I will try it soon and post a comment.
Thanks a lot
Indhu

indhu said...

I tried this recipe yesterday
Came out very well
Thanks for sharing achi

Dr.Priya Prabhakar said...

Can anyone here help me out with the contact details of any shop in karaikudi that can parcel us tasty uppukandam and vathal varieties.

Solai Chidambaram said...

where do you live priya?.In India or abroad?

Feni said...

Dear Aunty, I am married for 1+ yrs now and i was not knowing ABCd of cooking...i happened to see ur blog from the time i got married and its become my hand book for any time of cooking. Thank you so much. You rock!

-Feni

Skl said...

Hello aunty,
We tried this recipe,came out excellent,love the way you have explained the quantity of veggies,the spices,nobody will share their culinary expertise as clearly as you have written,expression of the word Thank you is just not enough,will let all my friends and family know about your blog,
Skl

Unknown said...

Hello Mam,
I tried ur recipe. Amazing taste. Got good credits as well. Thanks for sharing. It will be great if u post different veg gravies/kurma

Unknown said...

Hi mam!!! First of all tonnes of thanks to u n ur blog....am a pure veggie...and i hve almost tried all your veg related recipes..which is super duper hit in my home...my only request is can u post procedure step by step or point wise as a big paragraph i felt difficult...sorry if am wrng...ur blog really a life savour for me...thanks a tonne once again:)